Here are links and other options for denominationally-based emergency and disaster relief services that are providing help for those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Below are some agencies and emergency funds located in Houston and the surrounding area. Find Florida organizations involved in relief at http://www.pachurchesadvocacy.org/fl-orgs-offering-irma-relief/.
EMERGENCY AND DISASTER RELIEF SERVICES—Denominational
Church of the Brethren
- Emergency Disaster Fund: www.brethren.org/edf
- Checks may be made out to EDF and sent to the Church of the Brethren, 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120.
- Call the Brethren Disaster Ministries office toll-free at 800-451-4407.
Church of God
- Disaster and Hunger Relief: http://www.jesusisthesubject.org/disaster-relief/
Church World Service: https://cwsglobal.org/our-work/emergencies/
- Episcopal Relief and Development: https://support.episcopalrelief.org/hurricane-relief
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Lutheran Disaster Response: http://www.elca.org/Our-Work/Relief-and-Development/Lutheran-Disaster-Response/
- Direct link to Hurricane Harvey relief: https://community.elca.org/ushurricanerelief
- Make checks payable to Hurricane Response – United States and send to: Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, P.O. Box 1809, Merrifield, VA 22116-8009
- Call 800-638-3522 to make a donation with a credit card. Operators are ready to assist you Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Central Time.
Mennonite Church USA
- Mennonite Disaster Service: https://www.mds.mennonite.net/
Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Presbyterian Disaster Relief:
Roman Catholic Church
- Catholic Charities USA: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/peer_fundraisers/375237/peer_fundraiser_donations/new
Southern Baptist Convention
- Hurricane Harvey Response: https://missionaries.namb.net/projects/full/hurricane-harvey-response
- Hurricane Irma Response: https://missionaries.namb.net/projects/full/hurricane-irma-response
United Church of Christ
- United Church of Christ Disaster Ministries: https://transactions.ucc.org/CampaignForm/UCChrist/emergency_usa
- There are additional opportunities to volunteer and assemble cleanup buckets: http://www.ucc.org/disaster_2017_matching_grants_for_cws_kits_home_page
United Methodist Church
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR): https://secure3.convio.net/gbgm/site/SPageNavigator/umcor_donate.html?type=1002&project=901670&mc_cid=22f6b22c54&mc_eid=144c2150fe
- Mission Central (Susquehanna Conference): http://missioncentral.org/how-can-i-help/; They are putting together cleaning buckets and hygiene kits.
- Donations may also be made through any United Methodist Church via UMCOR. Folks should mark their gifts for Hurricane Harvey/Irma.
Links to Groups Providing Help in Houston/Regionally
- Alliance for Multicultural Community Services: https://www.facebook.com/AMCSHouston
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese Galveston-Houston: https://www.facebook.com/CatholicCharitiesGalvestonHouston
- Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston https://www.facebook.com/InterfaithMinistries
- Refugee Services of Texas https://www.facebook.com/RSTHouston
- YMCA International https://www.facebook.com/YMCAInternational/
Here are also a few general relief funds set up for both immediate disaster assistance and long-term services:
- Mayor of Houston Harvey Relief Fund: https://ghcfdisaster.kimbia.com/hurricaneharveyrelieffund
- United Way Houston Relief Fund: https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/flood/flood-donation/
- George R. Brown Emergency Center (main shelter in Downtown Houston): http://www.grbhouston.com/george-r-brown-emergency-center/
- Samaritan’s Purse: https://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/relief-units-rolling-texas-hurricane-harveys-punch/